Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Worst Christmas Task



I consider myself a big fan of Christmas in general. I love the Christmas hymns we sing in church, the nativity account, all of the fun stories we hear about giving - and getting into the spirit of giving. I can't say I don't enjoy the receiving end of Christmas as well. However, along with that spirit of giving comes the act of wrapping. Wrapping gifts is not a talent of mine. It is difficult for me to do the sides of the box or whatever is being wrapped. My gifts always end up looking all wrinkly - like a five year old did them. I also frequently misjudge how much wrap to use and then have to cut another strip so that you can't see what the gift is. That's another thing - in all of the accounts of the nativity I have heard and seen acted out, not once have the gifts presented to the baby Jesus been wrapped. They were all presented as they were, none of this ridiculous froo-froo wrapping or bows - nonsense all of it. I know that wrapping gifts is no big deal for most of you, if not all of you. If you happen to enjoy wrapping, you may disregard this post as the ramblings of one who is not good at wrapping. If you know me, I simply don't like to do things I'm not good at. But, then again, I think most people are that way to some extent. And for those of you whose solution is to do the whole bag with tissue paper thing, I am bad at that also. I wrinkle the tissue paper too much or don't use enough or I use too much. Plus I think that route is more expensive than the wrapping paper. Let's face it, I'm a lost cause. But I figure, if that is the only part of Christmas I don't like, I won't let it get me down. Think of it this way - a good laugh for those who receive gifts from me. Here are two of my better "wraps" - and you'll notice that one has an added on piece and the other just looks a little wrinkled. But those are pretty decent for me, you should see some of the others! I do think I got better as the wrapping progressed today.

4 comments:

Orange Peanut said...

You crack me up!!! Your present looks nice and you got me thinking when you pointed out that the gifts given to the babe by the wise men were not wrapped! So true and I will remember that forever when I choose to wrap my gifts simply - well I'll try not to use too many bows or ribbon :-) Love ya dear, Megan

Danielle said...

hahahaha i am not that great of a wrapper either - but dallen and claira are....NOT i let them wrap everything this year ( yes i gave up some control and let them do it completely alone) so many of the presents look very similar to the ones you posted -

Lulucarrot said...

I hate wrapping too. Now, Rapping, that's something I can get behind.

jillian said...

Oh Ady. How SHOCKING that you don't like wrapping presents. I think you just don't like to do things that will so soon be undone, making them obviously unnecessary. HA! I however, love wrapping presents. My mom hardly has to wrap anything, cuz we all do it for her.